Thursday, August 20, 2026

0820 subcognitive_ & I'm Not There

0820 subcognitive_


watched I'm Not There (2007, Todd Haynes) last night.

I'd seen it before, but many parts were unfamiliar to me. but not the Cate Blanchett parts. I adore her. This was probably the performance that established that adoration.

I woke up this morning thinking about the movie from the previous night (as always). Aren't we all living multiple lives from day to day? Some more than others, of course, but I definitely feel that moodiness  extends to longer scales of time during a life. If you know me well I don't blame you from laughing at that.. I'm one of the moodiest people I know. If you are thinking, Gordon's not moody.. then my constant efforts to hide it might be improving. 

at the end, the VO mentions going to bed a different person than the one when you woke up that morning, like having yesterday, today and tomorrow all in the same room. Other than really enjoying the film in general, (except for the Heath Ledger parts, sorry) that made me sit up and think hey, I bet lots, if not everyone is a "many lives of.." person. It's an aspect that is really obvious when one of those first few "lives" made you famous. It seems like a very natural consequence of persistent self-improvement, right? Every "different" incarnation of Dylan (and it's a pretty common theme in other rock biopics) was born of his reaction to something that happened in his life or the world or the music scene, etc. What's he supposed to do? He could've ridden the gravy train of his first few albums, but he didn't. And to me that makes him far better an artist. I don't know how much shit people gave Picasso, Beethoven or Miles Davis for going through style changes. Likely some, but I relate to how Dylan lives his life and being shaped by his own decisions on how to deal with how the world reacts to him.

very unfinished thoughts today

i'm no authority on Dylan. I've read some books about him but not all of them. And I know his albums, just not all of them. and I might have missed the point of the film and his life, but it's got me reflecting on my own life and on life in general.. even if obliquely.

that's what blogs are for, aren't they? partly anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

0924 both

0924 both