last night's film was Alex Cox's Straight to Hell (the director's cut).
wow.
at about the 10 minute mark I realized that what I was watching was a 2 week bender with dozens of famous punk rockers from the 70s and 80s, a truckload of guns and blanks, a bathtub of blood squibs and they just edited it all together after the pills and money ran out and they all went home to sleep for a month.
my favorite shot is during the big longcoat shootemup at the end where we see, kind of through a doorway in the middle distance, a guy in white pants and a sombrero stumbling, firing a pistol in one hand, and managing not to spill a cup of coffee in the other.
there was a butler in the background of several scenes serving coffee and pills off of a platter dressed in a tuxedo and it's Elvis Costello!
Courtney Love plays a pregnant bank robber and whines and yells throughout. I don't really care for her, but she was good in this.
I recognized Jim Jarmusch, Dennis Hopper (of course he's in this), Grace Jones (who played the most grounded-to-reality character in the film), and of course Joe Strummer, who I think was the best actor of the bunch. (not saying much)
at one point it became The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
it was non-sequitur-iffic fun starring the worst teeth in the world and all the dust, blood and spittle for no reason that you could ever be unable to take your eyes off of.
lots of Pogues music (and the whole band in the cast)
when it was over after ~90 minutes of violent nihilistic chaos that had me laughing at several points, I had to sit there silent in the dark staring past the wall until my soul reentered my body.
I did not have psychotic dreams, but I'm still a little dazed today.
No comments:
Post a Comment